Call for Applications: Civil society participation in CND thematic discussions in October
In line with the adoption of the ministerial declaration entitled “Strengthening Our Actions at the National, Regional, and International Levels to Accelerate the Implementation of our Joint Commitments to Address and Counter the World Drug Problem”, the third thematic CND intersessional will take place in a hybrid format on October 19-20 2021, in Vienna, Austria
The meetings will cover the following topics:
- 19.10.2021: Increasing links between drug trafficking, corruption and other forms of organized crime, including trafficking in persons, trafficking in firearms, cybercrime and money- laundering and, in some cases, terrorism, including money-laundering in connection with the financing of terrorism, are observed;
- 20.10.2021: The value of confiscated proceeds of crime related to money-laundering arising from drug trafficking at the global level remains low;
- 21.10.2021: The criminal misuse of information and communications technologies for illicit drug-related activities is increasing
For each thematic segment, up to 5 NGOs will have the possibility to present their work and positioning. Each speaker will have 3-5 minutes to present his or her work on the thematic focus of the day. Selected speakers (the selection procedure is done by the VNGOC) will be asked to send in their statements or videos no later than October 11, 2021. Interpretation will not be available during the meetings, therefore, all abstracts and statements have to be submitted in English.
Interested to speak? Fill out the online form before September 20, 2021, at 11:45 pm CEST. Selected candidates will be notified as soon as possible but no later than September 28, 2021.
Call for Input: Shaping an Asia-Pacific Common Position on Drugs
On July 28th, the VNGOC Asia-Pacific ad-hoc working group held an online regional consultation meeting to discuss the first draft of the Asia-Pacific Civil Society Common Position on Drugs (word document), which seeks to incorporate the perspectives and guide the work of a wide range of NGOs from across Asia-Pacific, to help shape and guide civil society and governmental responses over the coming years.
As a next step Civil Society Organisations from the Asia-Pacific region are now invited to continue to provide feedback, input and suggestions on this first draft until 15th September 2021. This can be done through the following channels:
- Give your feedback through the online form: https://forms.office.com/r/hmknerUNak
- Make “track-changes” in the word document and send it back to Augusto Nogueira (), Penny Hill (), or Sarah Pirker () or to
- Send us your feedback or questions directly via email: , , or
After consolidating all collected feedback a second draft will be shared towards the end of September or early October and another regional consultation meeting will be held to further discuss the common position. VNGOC plans to have a final draft of the consensus paper ready for sign-up by the end of the year so it can be presented at the 65th meeting of the Commission on Narcotic Drugs in March 2021.